Saturday, June 20, 2009

To refinish or not to refinish?



Here is a toy chest my grandmother had made for me when I was about five years old. I have held onto it for thirty years and now it sits in my daughter's room. I'm torn about whether I should refinish it. I thought I could put new fabric on the lid, change the name to my daughter's name and paint it. Oh and add a few safety features. The lid has nothing to keep it from falling on my kids! What were they thinking thirty years ago?! The paint is chipping off (for all I know it's lead paint) and the fabric is tearing.

So my oh so helpful mother says that I may wish someday that I hadn't altered it, but to do what I want to. I hate when people tell me that. I'm gonna do what I want to do anyway I don't need their permission. I just thought she could help me decide by telling me something like "Oh your grandmother would hate that idea or your grandmother would think that was so sweet!"

I just thought it would be nice for my daughter to have something that was mine, but has been altered to be just for her. I don't know. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment