Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Toy Box Redo



Well, here it is. The toy box my grandmother gave me when I was about five years old. I now have a daughter and wanted to redo it for her. I repainted it. Changed the fabric on the top and changed the name. I also added a hinge to keep the lid from bonking the kids on the head when they open it. What were our parents thinking? I wonder how many times I banged my head or smashed my fingers? I mod podged the extra fabric to a wooden board and had my wonderful hubby cut around the ballerinas with a jig saw. There was much debate on the best way to do this. Cut the wood first? Make a cardboard template? (That was my father-in-laws idea. Hubby and I just blinked at him.) In the end I covered the entire board and then cut the shapes out. Then I used the Dremel to smooth the edges.

I'm going to use the old fabric I removed to make a scrapbook page for my mother. She didn't want me to change the toy box, but she reluctantly told me she thought I did a good job. Works for me!

Here are the before and after photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment